Friday, January 25, 2019

FAQs: How Do You Avoid Depression?

Quadriplegia likes to attack both your body and mind. It doesn’t do it all at once, however – or at least it doesn’t feel that way. It comes on in stages. It typically feels like quadriplegia is attacking your body first, with the loss of your mobility and sensation grabbing all the early headlines and capturing your immediate attention. Then, as you gradually process those losses, and slowly figure out the best ways to keep yourself physically healthy, the struggle turns to how you keep your thoughts positive and your momentum leaning forward. This is perhaps the greatest long-term threat to many individuals in my situation.

Time For Pills. Everybody Happy?
It should probably come as no surprise then that my doctors immediately put me on antidepressants right after I broke my neck. They didn’t ask or even consult me on the matter. They just did it. And with all the other shit going wrong in my life at the time, I really didn’t have any time or grounds on which to object. I just did the only thing I could: I kept working towards getting healthier and moving forward with my life. But I knew I didn’t want to be on those pills for very long if I could help it.

As soon as I was out of the hospital and my health had finally stabilized, I actually tried to stop my antidepressants. I made my first attempt at stopping them in January 2004. I had been home for little more than a month. The only reason I remember the timeline accurately is because my doctors wouldn’t actually let me stop my pills at that time. They thought I might be susceptible to “seasonal affective disorder,” and they said I’d have to wait for some sunshine to properly treat all my mental ailments. But once the flowers were in bloom and the calendar turned to June, I made another appointment, answered all of their questions and threw the rest of my script in the trash when I got home. I was finally done with those pills forever.

I don’t mean to sound overly hostile towards antidepressants. They’re obviously a tool that has helped millions of people effectively manage their mental health, and they have a place in medicine as a result. But I also think they’ve become too heavily relied upon by doctors and patients rather than more constructive forms of treatment, like therapy. It’s not difficult to see why, though; they’re super easy to use. You just pop a pill every morning and you're fixed. Well, definitely not fixed, but popping pills is far easier than doing the dirty work that therapy requires. Those conversations can be messy and painful and expose truths we’d rather leave alone in the dark. So, why wouldn’t you just pop a pill when given the choice?

While I certainly won’t begrudge someone that chooses to take antidepressants for any reason, I personally felt tired and just generally numb while I was on them. And in my situation, numbness isn’t a lot of fun. Paralysis – which is the complete absence of sensation, not the reduction of it – has taken everything I once felt from my shoulders down. I didn’t want some stupid fucking pill to take away whatever I could still manage to feel from the shoulders up, even when those feelings are sometimes shitty. I already know exactly what it’s like to physically feel nothing. I can’t afford to numb myself emotionally, too. Life is too much about experience and interpretation to further impair the ways I can process the world. And what’s left for me if I do that? So I chose early on in my recovery to get clean and face whatever might come as soon and as sober as I possibly could.

This approach has taken me pretty far in my life post-injury, but I haven’t been able to handle all my thoughts and insecurities over the last 15 years. These struggles also seem to be occurring with greater regularity the older I get. And that’s probably natural. It’s easy to put off bigger, existential issues when you’re young. The world is full of new opportunities, experiences and people, and that stuff serves as a bunch of sand for you to stick your head in for a while. That was certainly true for me, even as a cripple. I had college and work and so many other new things to check out (not to mention figuring out my whole new way of life as a quadriplegic). But the hunger I had for many things in my youth has slowly given way to routine and comfort as I’ve gotten older. While other factors like the nursing shortage and a lower income contribute to this issue, ambition might just be chief amongst them. And this is where mental health gets tricky.

The thing most people don’t understand about depression is how it operates. And this is key to figuring out how you can stay happy. Too many people believe depression is a simple one-time foe to be defeated and discarded. But that grossly underestimates just how goddamn insidious depression can be. Think of depression as a slow and patient siege outside your walls rather than a single combatant. And even when you’re happy and healthy, it’s still waiting patiently outside your gates, probing for weaknesses and looking for a new way back into your life. Then, your dog dies, or life steps on your dick in some other cruel, newfound way, and you suddenly slip back into your old mindset again. That’s where the real challenge with depression lies, and that’s precisely why it can be so problematic for many individuals post-injury. Life just loves steppin’ on our dicks, and depression is more than willing to wait for its moment.

So, if depression is so damn insidious, and a cripple’s dick is under constant threat of being mashed by the cruel realities of the world, what exactly is a guy supposed to do?

I honestly can’t answer that question in a general sense. I have no clue what every guy should do to stay happy and healthy. What makes some dudes tick couldn’t hold my attention for a minute. I can only tell you what this guy does to stave off depression, and the easiest thing I do is try to create a schedule that leaves me with things to consistently look forward to on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis. For a realist like myself, I call these things, “manufactured hope.” They’re the shining stars on the horizon that I’m able to lift my head to and gaze at fondly when struggling with something in the moment. But depending on what you’re into and want to do, this might take a little work and a little capital to accomplish. You shouldn’t let that dissuade you, however. Investing time and money into maintaining your mental health will truly pay dividends in the end.

The things I like to keep on my radar revolve mostly around my hobbies – shocking, I know – and the primary hobbies I enjoy are: metal, cinema (horror, in particular) and boardgames. Between those three interests, I’m able to steadily identify new content coming out all the time (I purchase a lot of music and movies throughout the year), and create events that utilize that content for the future. For example, I host a weekly boardgame group at my home almost every Saturday, and I also try to visit my local theater at least once a week for the latest and greatest in cinema (AMC’s Stubs A-List is a fantastic program). Quadriplegia can be quite isolating, especially during the colder winter months, and those two things keep me interacting with people and regularly making trips outside my home. I’ve also discovered over the years that having fun and interesting things to look forward to makes doing all the monotonous, shitty work that quadriplegia necessitates just a little bit easier to tolerate.

These interests are also able to keep my mind active, even when I’m not directly engaging in one of them at the time. I don’t want to imply that idle minds are somehow more susceptible to depression. I have no fucking clue. I just know it’s easier for me to fall back on all my anxieties and insecurities whenever I’m left alone with only my thoughts and nothing to really fill that void. While sometimes even my best efforts can’t break my negative thought patterns, when possible I’d much rather think about pleasant topics, like art and boardgames, than worry about my health or other aspects of my disability. These questions don’t have to originate from really profound thought exercises, either. I’ll often spend part of my night thinking about the perfect doublebill for lesbian vampire movies (yeah, they’re a thing) or the best metal songs inspired by horror movies. And by giving myself these types of things to think about – as stupid as they might appear to some – I’m able to occupy my brain with healthier and more worthwhile pursuits than just fixating on my disability over and over again.

Another thing I try to do is stay the fuck off social media as much as possible. While I loathe most social media platforms, Facebook is honestly the worst. I lost a few of my friends a couple years back to kids and other nefarious acts of domesticity. I can still call them up and bullshit whenever I want, but I rarely have the opportunity to see them anymore. It sucks. But it sucks even more to look at pictures of them doing shit with their family and other friends. It makes me feel like I’m either missing out on things with them or that they’d rather do stuff with people other than yours truly. If you can believe it. While I honestly don’t believe either of those things to be true, it can still be really hard to push those feelings aside. And I’m not alone. Just Google “Facebook missing out” and you’ll see that this is something a lot of people suffer from. Thankfully, nobody I know leads a really interesting life, so I have no reason to lurk around and create that kind of self-doubt for myself.

But of all the things I do to avoid falling into a funk, I believe expressing my inner thoughts to be the most significant. I don’t think anybody can find truly long-lasting solutions to all the dark shit floating around in their head if they’re not willing or able to express that stuff in some way. While I strongly believe in introspection and looking inward to identify the issues that you’re struggling with, at a certain point, your efforts must turn towards some form of outward expression. Writing gives me an outlet where I can express all of the things I can’t really say aloud to other people in my life. I also find that while writing on a particular topic I’ll often discover a few things I didn’t necessarily have in mind at the outset, and it frequently serves as both a source of inspiration and catharsis that allows me to avoid having to endlessly internalize all my thoughts and emotions.

Therapy helps, too. Unfortunately, too many people – and guys, in particular – attach a negative stigma to therapy. It’s seen as an admission of weakness for some reason, and that’s fundamentally wrong. Strength isn’t being able to handle everything alone; it’s being able to admit your vulnerabilities to someone. Because I choose not to confide most things to my family and friends, I value having a therapist that I can chat with regularly. While just being able to make my struggles known to someone else feels great, there’s also a certain empowerment that comes from verbally conveying your thoughts to someone rather than simply writing about them in a vacuum. I feel like there’s a sense of ownership that occurs whenever you sit in front of someone and state your issues out loud and in-person. And a good therapist is able to tear down whatever walls you may have and call you on your shit. I know mine does. This is also a large part of what I still enjoy about speaking publicly on my injury. Sometimes leaving yourself with nowhere to hide can produce some profound revelations, even if the revealing process makes you feel a little uncomfortable.

Ultimately, whether I’m happy or angry or sad or whatever – the particular emotion is never usually all that important – I believe I’m best when I’m operating like your slimy digestive tract: consuming, absorbing and expressing. (Yes, this implies that my “expressions” on a matter are essentially big, stanky turds.) But in laying out how I try to avoid depression, I’m also really just revealing the things I value most in life. And I think that’s the major take away from everything I’ve said. While my approach and my methods probably won’t work for most folks – I realize loud, angry music and violent, gory movies have an admittedly small audience – I’d argue that the best way for anyone to stave off depression is to identify what you value most and cling to it with everything you’ve got.

– King Cripple