Monday, December 10, 2018

On Relationships

There’s an argument to be made that I probably think about stuff too much. That’s not a bad thing, and it isn’t even all that problematic in my life. Thinking about things never keeps me from taking action when necessary. I’ve always been able to let my pragmatism take over long before I could be derailed by any of my many neuroses. But some of the stuff I think about doesn’t really deserve the attention that I give it. I’d be much better off tackling more substantive issues in my personal life than wasting my time with things I cannot change. And some of the things I think about are complete hypotheticals (a.k.a, exercises in futility). Thinking about them never results in any real benefit on my part. They don’t let me understand myself or the world around me any better. They don’t help me express whatever emotions I’m struggling with. They just occupy my brain at times when nothing else is filling the void.

Beetlejuice-Themed Wedding? Nah. Theme Weddings Suck
Most of these hypotheticals stem from a single, straightforward question: What if I hadn’t broken my neck? That’s obviously a huge question to consider all by itself, and that’s why I never really consider it as a whole. It just seems pointless. I mean, where do you even start? I actually find it much easier, and even a little more fun, to break that question up into a million separate questions that concern the different aspects of my life. These questions include: Would I be married? Would I have kids? Where would I live? How would I live? Would I be successful? Would I be happy? I certainly have answers to all of these questions now in my current life as a quadriplegic. I’ve done all of that work over the years, and I know exactly who I am as both a quadriplegic and a man. But how would things have played out if I hadn’t broken my neck? That’s a question I have no real answer for, and that’s part of what makes it so damn intriguing.

I think another part of my intrigue with these hypotheticals concerns trying to evaluate and better understand the profound impact that a spinal cord injury (SCI) has on someone. There’s no doubt in my mind that my injury fundamentally changed who I ultimately became as an adult. There were several experiences in my youth that had a part in laying the foundation for who I am today. These are things like my time in athletics, which had a deep impact on my attitude and work ethic, and the many disappointments I had with my father growing up. But quadriplegia completely reshaped most, if not all, of my worldview and personal philosophies to varying degrees. I had to alter my expectations in life and entirely redefine words like happiness, success and adversity in the years following my SCI. That’s a lot of retconning for a stupid, drunken fuck-up in college.

But of all the hypotheticals I’ve thought about over the years, the one I keep coming back to time and time again concerns relationships. The reason this one has such a firm grasp on my attention is because I’ve always had a fairly strange relationship with relationships. That’s to say, at no point in my life have I ever placed a high value on them or had a really strong interest in them, and I don’t understand why that’s the case. I’ve never struggled with the usual culprits that keep people single and socially isolated, like self-confidence or social awkwardness. Sure, my identity floundered for a bit in the wake of my SCI, but once I found my footing in college, I’ve never had to look back. I’ve also never once had to assimilate in order to make friends or feel comfortable in my environment, and I’ve spent a lifetime enjoying relatively niche interests.

The Legend of Jason Voorhees Lives On
The other thing about all this that slightly disturbs me is that I know the huge role that relationships play in life. I can readily acknowledge, and I truly believe, that the secret sauce to this hamburger we call life is the shared experience. Everything we do in life either lives or dies based on our ability to share it with someone else. We can do this post-experience via story, or we can do it together with someone in real-time. While the latter will undoubtably create a deeper connection, and arguably a more vivid memory, both methods are still effective nonetheless. And while I know all this to be true, it’s never once caused me to pursue relationships with much zeal or effort.

All this leaves me wondering: Why? Is it as simple as never meeting the right person, or do my issues run deeper than that?

It’s easy to think that my injury is to blame for all my relationship woes, and I’d otherwise be with a woman if things were different. I’d actually really like to be true. There are, after all, several issues that stem from my injury and impede my ability to cultivate relationships with others. First of all, I swim in a relatively shallow social pool. I don’t have coworkers or exposure to other common social settings. But I’m also unable to gain access to other homes, and everyone I know must now come to me in order to visit. That’s a tough demand to make, especially in the world full of other tough demands. I’ve also deliberately put up some walls since I broke my neck so as to never appear sad or angry about my circumstances. And for better or worse, those walls don’t come down easily. I even harbor some serious resentment towards relationship because my injury has now thrust them upon me and made them vital to my health.

But everyone wants to think that things in their life would be a lot better had that one bad thing never occurred. I mean, you don’t have to be a quadriplegic to wrestle with regrets and spend time second-guessing past decisions. It’s easy to think that all your problems and all your setbacks stem from a single event in your past. That one thought is quick, clean and convenient in many ways. By pinning all of your hardships on an event, you also sort of absolve yourself of responsibility for how things ultimately turned out. It wasn’t really your fault, you just got fucked by life. Suffering a SCI is no different. While it’s probably natural to have these thoughts, I know that in my case this argument is bullshit. Not only was I directly responsible for my SCI, but I’m also responsible for any lack of relationships in my life. To point my finger elsewhere would be a lie.
Quadriplegia Probably Kept Me From Having Elvira, Though
I know for a fact that quadriplegia hasn’t kept me from having a woman in my life. That one’s all on me. I’ve had multiple opportunities over the years to be with someone, and I’ve always turned down those offers for dates and even sex in the past. And I’ve done it all with very little regret when I look back at things. It’s precisely that lack of desire for relationships, romantic or otherwise, that makes me question whether I’d have ever been in one even if I’d never broken my neck. I think so. I certainly would’ve been savvy enough to pick someone up, and there are enough societal pressures that I probably would’ve found myself in a relationship at some point. But are those valid reasons to enter into a relationship with someone? No. Of course not. And my problems with relationships were clearly there long before my injury ever occurred. It’s clear that I’ve been making a deliberate choice when it comes to relationships my whole life, but I still can’t always understand the rationale behind those choices.

When I consider everything objectively, I realize I haven’t been touched with any ounce of affection in at least 15 years. While that’s a sizable chapter in anyone’s life, I'm by no means alone. Plenty of people find themselves in a similar situation. What seems strange to me about my situation is that there’s still no part of me that consistently craves such contact. I don’t get that. Intimacy seems so fundamental to life, and yet I’m somehow perfectly comfortable living without it. I certainly have weeks when such pleasures feel necessary, and I try to pursue some feminine interactions in those times. But it doesn’t take long before I tire, lose interest and move on. While there’s an argument to be made that I don’t know what I don’t know, and I can’t miss what I’ve never had, I worry sometimes that I’m somehow pathologically defective. Is it possible for someone to be deficient in the thing that makes people yearn to be loved?

I suppose that’s another question I’ll never have an answer for. I might just be a big fucking asshole for all I know. And some days, that seems as probable as anything.

– King Cripple